As a parent myself, I understand the unique challenges parents face. Children do not come with a “how to” guide and can be a source of both joy and frustration! For both new and seasoned parents, it can be upsetting and frightening to feel helpless in your role as a parent.
I work with parents at all stages of parenthood to help you identify more effective parenting strategies, actualize your identity as both a parent and an individual, and manage the stress associated with parenthood. By working with parents to help address sources of stress in their life, including underlying mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression, I help parents become the happiest and healthiest version of themselves.
Postpartum Mental Health
I also specialize in working with parents who are postpartum and are struggling with new parenthood. For some parents, a morning run, a healthy diet and receiving help and support from family and friends are sufficient enough to get through the initial adjustment period. For others, talking to a therapist who specializes in dealing with issues of new parenthood can be comforting, relieving, and enlightening.
Therapists who have extensive education and training in postpartum disorders understand that hormone changes, personal and family history, and social support are all vital factors in understanding and alleviating postpartum symptoms.
Common postpartum symptoms include:
- Feeling overwhelmed and wondering if you should have become a parent in the first place
- Feeling guilty due to high self-expectations
- Not feeling “bonded” with the baby
- Experiencing racing thoughts–like you can’t quiet your mind
- Feeling empty and numb as if you’re just going through the motions
- Lack of focus and concentration
- Being afraid that if you reach out for help, others will judge your inabilities
- Thoughts of running away or leaving your baby behind
- Being constantly in a state of worry
If any of the above resonates with you, I invite you to contact me today for a free consultation. Together, we’ll find the underlying issues that you are facing as a parent, and create a strategy for moving forward. Contact me today to see how I can help.
If you’re interested in learning about how I can help improve your life as a parent and an individual, contact me today so we can schedule an appointment.